Friday, September 12, 2008

What's for dinner?

OMG! OMG! OMG!

We got an invitation for Shabbat dinner! We are going to our next door neighbor's, but it is an all adults (save my increasingly rambunctious 3.9 yo). And it is at 8pm. Hm. Look on the bright side. It will allow us to go to Kabbalat Shabbat, which we haven't been to in ages, and it's on the roof of the shul, so we're particularly excited!


This is bad news, though, for those of you who wanted a recipe from me for this Shabbat...

Luckily, I was asked to bring dessert and can do that since it is peach season (I don't much like parve desserts, but this one is good. All peaches are good cooked, somehow, and so this works!

Baked Peaches Total time: 45 minutes

2pounds apricots 1/2cup kirsch 4tablespoons sugar or more to taste.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash the peaches, cut them in half and pit them. Put them in a baking dish.
3. Sprinkle with the kirsch and sugar and bake them, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

(if you are like me and don't know what kirsch is, just dump some sugar over it and call it a day. they will be yummy)

I also made an optional syrup for this: I boiled 2 tbsp dried lavender in one cup of water and one cup of sugar, all mixed together. Strain the lavender out and drizzle it on top. Use left overs on top of plain yogurt (or icecream if you are desperate).

This is an adaptation of a recipe from the NYTimes a few weeks ago for baked apricots. But it isn't apricot season anymore, alas...

1 comment:

Maya said...

On the roof? I want to go to YOUR shul! That way when my daughter throws cheerios over a railing, they'd hit the pavement and not the men's section!