Friday, June 20, 2008

Spicy peanut sauce

One of the great things about this Friday recipe series is that it's motivating me to rediscover recipes I'd almost forgotten! This one used to be a regular for me, but a husband who doesn't like spicy things and kids who don't yet eat peanuts has pushed it to the back of the mental recipe files. It's quick and delicious and works well as a dip for veggies or on hot or cold noodles.

1 Tbs coarsely chopped yellow onion
1 large garlic clove, coarsely chopped
1 or 2 red jalapeno chiles, seeded
1 Tbs peanut oil or light veg. oil
2.5 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs plus 1 tsp lime juice
2 Tbs light brown sugar
1 tsp molasses (I've never used this)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Place the onion, garlic, chiles, oil, soy sauce, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients.

Enjoy, and Shabbat shalom!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
This recipe looks great.

I am doing a trip with some friends this weekend. One of the new couples I have recently met are Jewish and pregnant [just a month, I think].

Each couple attending the trip has been asked to make a meal for everyone.

I have religious dietary restrictions [I'm Hindu] and I want to be respectful of everyone elses to and sit down to a meal that everyone can enjoy. I love cooking for people- and really want them to feel comfortable and enjoy the food.

I was hoping you would give me some pointers.

From what I have read- no pork, no meat and dairy together, and no seafood [well, specific types, but since she is pregnant, I may throw that option out all together]

Are eggs okay? Do they have to be fully cooked?

Is eggs and cheese together allowed?

I make everything from scratch so no preservatives or chemicals. I do use spices [and can use them sparingly], I also cook mainly vegetarian.

Are there specific vegetables that I should stay away from?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I just stumbled across your site and thought you could help.

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Oh yes..I will be cooking on a Saturday [this July 5th for brunch or dinner]-- are there dietary restrictions associated with that day in particular or time?

Thanks again!