Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mitzvah Z'man Grama - What About Pesach??????

How often do I neglect to daven each morning! It would only take 10 minutes and would most likely be a positive, calming, and centering addition to my day. But I always put it off. And I often justify my own laziness by remembering that technically I am exempt from daily davening. Why? Because supposedly taking care of two young children requires so much energy, that I can't be expected to be counted on for daily tefillah - no matter how little time it takes!

Then I get to Pesach. Even if we weren't hosting seder...the planning, the shopping, the cleaning, the shlepping - all with little ones pattering about - surely takes so much more mental, physical, and emotional energy than an abbreviated, but heartfelt shaharit each day. So why then aren't we exempt from preparing to such a degree for pesach? I get that the halachot of Pesach are so stringent and have no flexibility. But it simply makes no sense to argue that exempting women from time-bound mitzvot is somehow considerate of a person's time and energy - when Pesach puts so many more demands on parents.

When it comes down to it, I have found that trying to prepare properly for Pesach while also taking care of my children is just really, really hard. And I realize that there is a spiritual component to the suffering. It is difficult to appreciate freedom without first experiencing some aspect of Mitzrayim. But I also think there is a spiritual message to mothers davening every day. No matter how much time and energy my kids need, I will be a better parent if I take time away each day and focus on my relationship with God.

And yet, somehow I have managed to spend most of the day getting ready for Pesach - and none of the day davening...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really with you on this one. It is 1230 am and I am nowhere near done enough to go to sleep. I'm doing both sedarim and feel like a wack-job for agreeing to this...