Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why I Do Not Like Social Networking Websites

Do I need to make a list?

In no particular order, I don't like social networking websites because....

  • my boss' husband is now my friend on Facebook and I am certain he share my updates with her.
  • I have interviewed for another job and my prospective boss is on Facebook too.
  • it is icky to hear about someone's separation and impending divorce via the web.
  • a friend of my mother's wanted to connect with me on Plaxo but was dissatisfied when I listed her as an acquaintance and reposted that she wanted me to be her friend.
  • I now play Super Mario Brothers like I did when I was on vacation from college and I played with my little sister's Nintendo (all thanks to Facebook).
  • I traded caring about how many contacts I had on Linked In for caring about how many Friends I have on Facebook, and it's about the same stupid number.
  • a friend new to Facebook listed herself as "interested in women" and it created a firestorm of emails amongst her friends to figure out if that was her way of coming out or a typo. It was a typo.
  • I am now addicted to Scrabulous even though I really suck at it.
  • my profile picture is of my child, because I don't think I have any pictures that are worthy of putting up on the internet.
  • I don't want to have to hear about someone's zits, their existential crises, or what they had for lunch this way. Maybe some other way, but not this way.
  • I don't want to network socially with people who, IRL, I'd never ever have an interest in meeting.
  • and last, but not least, I do not ever want my little boy to think I'm a major dork because I want to friend him.

Is it a problem that I like people? I love the internet, don't get me wrong. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life communicating with my friends in 7 word spurts on Facebook!

2 comments:

Marcela Sulak said...

I'm avoiding all social networking at present, too--I've got an addictive personality!

Anonymous said...

I dislike social networking for a reason not listed. I just absolutely hate people. I'm the kind of person who wears iPod earbuds whenever I'm in public in order to provide a buffer between me and the people that I'm pretending aren't there.