Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Mikvah Queen

The big news for the week is that I have been anointed the Mikvah Queen.

More specifically, I was recruited to be the scheduler for our local mikvah, at least while the current scheduler is on maternity leave.

This is a BIG DEAL. Partially because I am a little stressed about the responsibility--if I fall behind or confuse the dates or forget to send a reminder I could really cause people problems. But mostly because up until now, I've been a Mikvah Moocher.

I am a Serious Nidah Girl. Due mostly to my choice of husband, I observe the real deal Nidah--the full two weeks, the full two beds (would you believe the guy at the mattress store--not to mention my mother--actually LAUGHED at me when I said I wanted two twin beds?!) no touching, the whole kit and caboodle. Sometimes we get really wild and crazy and pass each other things, like plates or salt shakers.

I don't feel too oppressed--I knew what I was getting into when I married him. Abba is one of those rare men who is totally consistent in his religious observance--he's a no-excuses, total commitment kind of guy through and through. So I roll with it.

Despite my seriousness about nidah and a whole slew of other things Jewish, I've been barred from being a Mikvah Lady because of my active and visible involvement in an egalitarian minyan. So the story goes, if someone from out of town were to find out that their Mikvah Lady leads Musaf, it could cast a dark shadow on the whole mikvah. Disappointing, but it didn't come as a huge surprise. And so I've remained on the outside of the enterprise, even when in the mikvah.

Until now. Because though I am still not trusted to be a Mikvah Lady, apparently I CAN do the mikvah scheduling for the entire community, a job that requires constant engagement, not to mention a load of discretion. I have to say...I'm really excited about the opportunity to give back to the mikvah, and to join the group of devoted women who make it work so well.

So if I can't be a Mikvah Lady...well, at least I can be the Mikvah Queen.

3 comments:

mamalady said...

I admire your willingness to take on this role and hope the community knows how lucky they are to have willing to do this.

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!! Imashalom, I want to come to your mikvah. I am thrilled for you! As another mikvah lover, I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Marcela Sulak said...

I'm so glad for you! I know it means a lot to you, and I think it's a step in the right direction for the shul.